Thursday, May 26, 2016

Day 6: Thursday (Last day Yosemite)

Our last day in the Valley and we had a few things on our wish list. We managed them all except for Glacier Point. Just couldn't bear the thought of being in the car as long as it would take to get there. The day was so very bright and beautiful we wanted to spend as much time as we could out under the big sky.

Speaking of "BIG," one of the things we've talked about is how small everything is going to seem back in Pennsylvania. The hills. The rocks. The trees.  I hope that in some way I have internalized all this space and hugeness in a way that will stay with me. When I touch the trees, i feel their steadfastness, their fortitude and patient acceptance. I want to be like a tree...

Every other day we've driven past the trailhead for Bridalveil Fall but today it was our first stop in the valley. Don't laugh--- it was a warm up walk for us. Half a mile. And that's the round trip. But we got some nice photos!


We have met a lot of very nice people while on this vacation. The lady who took this photo of us, for instance. 

For the record, most of the photos on this blog are from my iPhone. Bob's pictures are most certainly better, and you'll have to wait to see his.

Our second ambition for the day was to see the Vernal Falls. We got as far as the footbridge. The nice man I met there said that last year it was much drier and not nearly as full as this year. He gave me a high five when I told him I suspected the rain was because of our vacation. But then he was quick to assure me that we can't take credit for the amount of precipitation. It's been building for a while!

These photos are slightly misrepresenting our experience... there were MANY people in the park today but we always try to keep strangers out of our photos.





A packed lunch at a picnic table in the parking lot under a tree and we headed for our final destination for the day-- the meadows. 


Some of you will understand when I say that it is a great comfort some times in life to feel very, very small and inconsequential. To sit in a quiet place, beneath the strong walls of stone that are so old, so seemingly immutable... this brings a peace that can truly settle my mind. Hopefully for a long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment